Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Day 27: Best childhood memory

Oh gosh, this can bring one to tears. I have many, many childhood memories that's competing to be in the first place as "the best". Most of them involve my mom.

I think the one that I misses the most, will be classed as my best. It's not a single memory, but a huge number of similar ones. My mom always went to lie down after lunch during her holidays. Rarely, she'd take a nap. But usually, she would just turn up her heavy classical music, and enjoy it. Sometimes reading.

During the long summer holidays we always went to Waenhuiskrans for 5-6 weeks. It was THE best. Her bed there got afternoon sun, and as you probably know by now, I absolutely adore the sun. So by 3 or 4pm, she would be lying on her bed, looking out of the window, daydreaming. I'd go to her, lie down next to her but on the part of the bed that got sunshine, and we'd just chat and laugh and share. I was able to talk to her about absolutely everything under the sun. Nothing was too embarresing, too personal or too stupid to talk to her about. She rarely told me what to do. But she always had advice, always supported me, and always made sure I knew how proud she was of me.

So those days in the sun, chatting with my mother, is my best childhood memory. As I said, there's loads more, of course, but I won't bore you with them. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment