Saturday, January 1, 2011

So long, 2010...


2010. Over and done with. Where did it go?

I'm not particularly sad that this year is over with. But when I see how fast my baby is growing up, then I want to grab hold of time and force it to a standstill. He can't be turning 3 soon, can he?!

New Year also starts the count-down to the new school year. Something I loath, completely. But let's not dwell on that, there is still 11 days of holiday left!

So what did 2010 teach me? That I must, and can be patient with my daughter. With helping her, with her tantrums, with her differences. That was the major lessons I (had to) learn this year. It still doesn't come easy. When you're called for the 3rd time to the bathroom in 1 hour, you feel like screaming and stomping your foot like a 2-year old. Or when you deal with the 4th tantrum of the day, you feel like grabbing hold of the nearest flowerpot and throw it against the proverbial fireplace. Or when she for the umpteenth time forgot what she was busy telling you... you get my drift! So I needed those lessons. I still need them, to cope. Every day.

Though, it's been a marvellous 4 days without bathrooms and accidents and medications and tantrums. I missed my children something terrible. But in a way, it was good for me. I believe it was good for them as well. Mr N just wanted to come home. Part of it was his love for his home, and missing us, but a big part was missing the Wii, the computer and the satellite dish. I think it was good for this technology-crazed boy of mine to be without for a bit.

So what else did I learn in 2010? That I have amazing kids...:-) :-) :-)

No really, I do!

Mr N. Ah, my clever little boy. He really came into his own this year. He got certificates for academic achievement. Not only in the maths we knew he was good in. But also in Afrikaans. Wow wow wow. I was speechless and so very proud. But most of all...I was proud when he was chosen as one of the 4 best readers (out of 29) for his class. My boy...a good reader?! I was in tears! There's no greater gift to a child (okay, maybe some!) than teaching them a love for reading. I love words. I love books. I love stories. I dream stories, I live stories. I would die without words in my life. The worst thing of being diagnosed with glaucoma, is the fear of someday not being able to see words anymore. I can live without seeing a tv. But don't take my written words away from me.

I digress. Mr N...ah yes, he did so well in grade 3. But not only academically. He was on the 1st cricket team for his grade. He absolutely loved and adored the game and gave it his all and everything. He also grew emotionally this year. Getting a maturity and understanding that surprised me. I love getting to see glimpses of the man he is going to be one day. And it makes me proud! Also...health wise. He did so well. Nearly never had any illnesses, apart from gastro once and scarlet fever. And his clean EEG (no seizures)!!! That was THE best news. If it's clean again in 9 months time, he may be taken off the lamitrigine (epilepsy medication). That would be a wonderful, wonderful day. It's been 4 years now. Of giving him the meds every day. There were difficult times, where he refused to drink it. Or spit it out. Or hide it in his cereal or the dustbin! And the side effects. Horrible, horrible side effects. It would be just lovely, to throw it away and have our son back...unmedicated!

Next is our daughter. I can just say wow. How, after everything I've done to her, did she turn out to be this kind, loving, sweet, happy and amazingly strong little girl? What did I do, to deserve this beautiful little girl? She had to cope with more this year, than some adults even have to cope. And she did it beautifully. She went for test after test, doctor's visit after doctor's visit, without complaining. Without digging her heels in (accept on the rare occasion, LOL). She tried drug after drug, experimental treatments and never lost hope that THIS time it'll work. Her faith was and is still unwavering. That God WILL help her. At some point, when we've prayed long and hard enough, He WILL listen and answer all her prayers. She prayed for a rainbow around May this year. Just after the rainy season in this part of the country. So no luck. For months and months she prayed to see a rainbow. She never stopped praying. Never forgot about it. And then, one day around October. It rained and there was a beautiful, big rainbow. She was ecstatic. I, was humbled. She has given me hope this year. Hope for her. Hope for us. Hope for the future. Because she believes. And that's all you need.

She also worked hard at school. Between everything, she still had to learn how to read, how to spell, how to write, how to count, how to subtract, how to multiply and how to divide. And she did it. She did it all. I'm so very proud of her. For sticking to everything and taking it on, and overcoming the obstacles in her path. And to stay happy and kind and thoughtful and loving and a little chatterbox through it all. Never letting depression or heartache or sadness overwhelm her. Never letting life get her down. What an amazing little girl I've got!

And lastly (but definitely never the least!), our little Monkeyman. What a great little personality this guy has. He's kind and cute and loyal. He's also extremely perceptive, sure of himself and trustworthy. He's contend and peaceful and calm. And he is such a little boy. So typical boy. Give him a car in the one hand and a ball in the other, and he's happy as can be for hours on end. He entertains himself. He rears himself! He is so easy-going. Such a splendid little boy to have. He gives us so much pleasure, so much joy. We can't imagine life without him. It would've been seriously lacking! We can just stand in awe of how fast he is developing. He can do things at age 2 that I never thought is even possible (for a kid of mine that is!). And he do it all by himself. I do not sit and teach him anything. He just picks it up. From tv, from conversations around him, from following his siblings, from copying his dad. It's just absolutely astounding. The way he plays kinect. And Wii. Especially Wii. I don't even need to put the game on for him anymore. He does it all by himself. From step A until step Z. He just knows what to do. What buttons to press, what options to choose, what answers to give. Amazing.

So beside learning that I have awesome kids, what else did I learn in 2010? Hmmm...that SA should be given the chance to host the Olympics! And that if they don't do something SERIOUSLY soon about the farm-murders, food prices are going to skyrocket as we're loosing our farmers to other countries, resulting in us having to import more food. But that's a whole different conversation for another day. Not at midnight!

So I hope that everyone will have a great 2011. That it will be kind to us all. That everyone's prayers will be answered. And that we'll all stay healthy. And that Boeboe's surgery will be one big roaring success. Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment