Tuesday, January 18, 2011

And so they grow up...




Monkeyman started school today. It's only playschool, and he'll only be going once a week. But I can't believe my baby is now grown up and a little boy...:( Too soon!!! Much too soon.

He enjoyed it so much. He had so much fun. I stayed the whole time, to familiarise him with the school, teacher, environment, routine, friends, everything, without him feeling I've thrown him to the wolves. Without just leaving him at a strange place, not knowing if mommy is ever coming back, and wondering why she's done this. But, he didn't really need me much, except for one time when he got all shy and scared. It only lasted a couple of minutes and took one hug from mom, to get him off my lap again. I'm sure after a few times of sitting in, I'll be able to leave him for a bit, stretching to longer and longer periods until he will be just fine on his own. He immediately took to his teacher and even spoke to her and hugged her. So much different from Boeboe at the same age, the same school, the same environment.

So my baby is growing up and I'm sad. But I'm also proud, and I think by giving him what he needed the past 3 years (lots of comfort from mommy when confronted with change or something unfamiliar), he was able to build up his confidence. I'm very proud of him, and very happy that I took that approach, and not the one advised by some (getting the child to cut the ties/force him to leave the apron/etc.).

He was deadtired afterwards, poor thing. Slept very well this afternoon, and has been a bit topsy-turvy tonight. Which I realised was because of being tired, shame. I'm grateful that he doesn't have to go everyday, or full day, when only 3 hours of playschool has tired him out this much. So tomorrow...me and him get to sleep late...:) Can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. Jou monkeyman is pragtig - kan nie glo hy is amper 3 nie. Bly hy geniet dit by sy speel groepie. As my jongste hoor ons gaan ry - dan roep sy na die juffrou (Stel) en se speel speel oor en oor. Ons babas is nou groot. Hoop jy het dit reg gekry om bietjie in te le vanoggend. Hoe gaan dit met Boeboe hierdie week by die skool?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ja, dankie, het laaaaaat geslaap! Gaan goed met Boeboe die week, dankie. Sy gaan vir my bietjie agteruit met funksie, maar dis darem net smiddae/saans, nog nie by skool 'n groot probleem nie. Hoe gaan dit met jou oudste en die huiswerk? Cope julle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gelukkig is mos by 'n baie baie goeie skooltjie - juffrou Christel gee baie aandag aan die kinders in die middae. Dankie tog daarvoor. Maar sy geniet die lees (bietjie wat al nou al doen) vreeslik baie. So sodra Jana gaan slaap sit ek en sy en sy lees en vertel van die dag.

    ReplyDelete