Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 14: Last book I've read

I love reading. I really, really love reading. When I was a child, I read a book a day. It sounds impossible, I know, but I didn't read English books until I was 16. I only read Afrikaans (my home tongue). The books I read, always had 152 pages in those days. Always. They changed the font size and nr of lines per page to fit it in. So yeah, I went to the library at least once a week. It was 3 blocks away from home. And the best hour of my week. There was something magical about the library.  

I have a number of books that I read every year. The Harry Potter series, the Earth children series, and almost all of Anne McCaffrey's fantasy books. The last book I read though, was 50 Shades. Urgh, I struggled with it. I don't know why. Everyone went on and on about it, but I think when you've come to love the books like these above, 50 Shades just doesn't cut it. It felt flat. I came halfway through the 2nd before giving up again. Maybe one day, I'll finish it, I don't know. Doesn't really feel worth the time when I can just read Clan of the Cavebear again. Or the Pern series.

I've also started Midnight sun again from Stephanie Meyer. I really liked the twilight series. I'll finish that, and then I want to read a book my sister recommended. The Glass Castle. I have no idea what it's about.

So why don't I read as many books these days? Because I read on the internet. I read people's stories, blogs, Google books, medical reviews and research articles. I read everything I can "lay my hands on" so to speak, about the subject I'm interested in. During the past 3 months, it was Pulmonary Hypertension. So the last book I probably read, was a book on that (I don't keep track of the names, but it was something about lung diseases).

I can never NOT read. There's a few things I can't live without. Reading is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment