Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Monkeyman's birth V

During the night I took some of the pills again when contractions became regular. Every time it worked, making contractions irregular. On Wednesday, I kept on timing contractions all the while going on with life. Fetching the kids from school, visiting with my sister, getting our hospital bags ready and dealing with the builders and contractors. Later on Wednesday, I had the show. The evening and night was rough on me. I didn't sleep much, kept on timing contractions. At 6am Thursday morning, it was 10 minutes apart and very strong. I just knew that this was it. No pill is going to stop these contractions any more. So during the morning, I quickly went grocery shopping for when the in-laws would stay over while I was at the hospital, to look after Mr N and Boeboe.

From there on I went to fetch my husband at work and off we went to the gynae. And as suspected, the little monitor confirmed that contractions was strong and coming every 2 minutes. Nothing was going to stop labour any longer. The strong, burning pain I was getting low on my stomach, was the uterus that started bleeding, most likely along the old caesarian wounds. So baby had to be taken out.

By this stage it was already almost lunchtime. I went home, fetched my bags, organised for my friend to pick the children up from school and off we went to hospital. Contractions were becoming more urgent and stronger. Almost painful...:) It was lovely, to experience all of that again. I really wished that I could deliver normally. But alas, the uterus was already starting to tear and it was only beginning stages of labour. What a pity that someone like me, who do not find contractions really painful, to not be able to deliver normally. While I find the pain of a c-section almost unbearable, but needed them. Ironic.

And then I hit a pathetic anaesthetist! He hurt me so much, administering the spinal. I screamed and I cried. And he said sorry, but he made a botch of that, he'll have to do it AGAIN. And again I screamed and screamed. It was sooooo sore. But, at least the 2nd one worked and immediately my legs went numb. I told the anaesthetist that I'm going to feint. He didn't hear me, and I screamed it at him. Again he didn't hear me. WHY? Because he was busy chatting to the one nurse!!!! So I told my hubby that I'm going to feint NOW. The gynae heard me and interrupted the anaesthetist, who fortunately quickly reacted, injecting me with something that should've stabilised my blood pressure. It didn't work, and he didn't even notice because he was AGAIN talking! So again the gynae called him, telling him and again he injected something. This time it worked and the dizziness got better.

Seconds later the gynae started to cut. She worked quickly, while the anaesthetist had to deal with me being nauseous and feeling totally spaced out and shivering violently. Then, I heard my baby scream. Just once. They lifted him up so that I could see him. It was a boy, and he was fat and white and beautiful. But turned blue and limp as I was looking at him. They handed him to the paediatric nurse who administered oxygen, sucked his nose and throat and then massaged his back. He started to cry. And he cried and he cried. It was beautiful.

Monkeyman gets his first nappy
The gynae told me the placenta was HUGE. Probably due to the baby aspirin. She said that's why I went into labour. There was no space for baby any more with that huge placenta. And she said full-blown labour was imminent, the bottom half of the uterus was thinly stretched. She said I would never have seen another night pregnant. So we did the right thing, doing the c-section.

He was wrapped warmly and put in my arms. So different from my previous birth where I were pushed to my room, all alone. This time, my baby was lying with me, and my hubby walking next to me. I've never been so contend in my life. Until the shoulder pain started. Nothing helped, until they brought me a heating pack. The shoulder pain persisted for about 3 weeks, which was pretty awful. But nothing could bring me down from the high I was on. Baby was beautiful. His blood sugar was a little bit on the low side, but it stabilised by itself within the first day or two. He was healthy, he fed well, he slept most of the time. I loved every minute of being his mom. He weighed 3.06kg, almost 700g less than his brother was, and 400g heavier than his sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment