Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Such bad news

My worst fear was confirmed today. Monkeyman is in heart failure with a function of 30%. As far as I remember from what I read, it should be above 60%. He's been put on medication. We'll have to see how it goes.

I'm a bit numb, not yet in full panick mode. I think I hit that yesterday already. When I read the x-ray report and saw that his heart is enlarged. I just knew that it was bad news. Which is why I was so awfully upset and sad.

The cardiologist is still very loath to put him through unnecessary radiation. So again she decided against doing a CT/MRI scan of his lungs. Even though she still don't know if/what's wrong on his x-rays.

She repeated the bloodtests. Apparently, his white blood count in June last year was already low. So it's continuously low for 6 months. We'll see what today's shows. I'm not really optimistic. I didn't worry too much yet about this, because he's such a healthy child that doesn't get the flu or throat or ear infections. But, the cardiologist said that that's a really worrying thing. To have a low white blood count and not fall ill. Doesn't make sense to me, but she was really worried about that.

This morning, he complained bitterly about his legs and feet (shins/knees/ankles) aching again. I really don't think this is growing pains. :-(

I need answers. This dr is very conservative. Believes in the wait-and-see approach. I'm not sure if we have that time with Monkeyman? How aggresively should this be tackled?? We got a low dose of one medication.

I'm so scared. How on earth are we going to get through this?

No comments:

Post a Comment