Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mr N's Pregnancy and Birth VI

After numerous courses of a/b's, I was give a D&C at 6 weeks after birth. It was difficult, going to hospital, feeding the baby before, and again afterwards, knowing that the aneasthesia is probably still in my blood. The D&C showed that some placenta was retained. I always wondered if it wasn't that “extra” lob that the placenta developed and then discarded when it wasn't needed anymore.

The D&C didn't help. The infection was in the uterus already. So when baby was 2 months old, I had to put him on formula for a week. Expressing with each feed as well, and then throw the milk away. Because I was put on extremely strong antibiotics, which would be harmful for baby's kidneys. It wasn't an easy week. We were camping with the in-laws, so it was quite difficult handling bottle feeding and expressing, and a 2-month old baby, while living in a tent!

But it worked...:-) For the first time in almost 3 months, I felt healthy again. I was so grateful. One time during the infection I had to see my gynae's associate (my gynae went on holiday) and this associate told me that if I were her patient, she would've done a hysterectomy already. I was schocked. Yes, I'm ill. Yes, I have a very bad infection. But isn't a hysterectomy the very last resort? What about my future fertility? The fact that I want more children? Fortunately, I was NOT her patient, and my gynae was prepared to fight for my future children.

Through this all, my baby was the cutest thing. He was just thriving, turning into a really fat and friendly baby. Nobody could believe that such a small person like me, could have such a huge, fat baby. He was so beautiful, so friendly. He laughed for every face he saw.

And he was a dream-baby. Never cried, except for a brief stint with colic. He slept through from his 2nd month, and fed and slept so well during the day. It was such a wonderful experience, to be parent to this amazing little being. I decided to never go back to work, but stay at home with him. I never regretted my decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment